While Abigail slept today, I worked to get as much done towards dinner as I could. When Jonathan came in eager to help, I knew things were about to slow down drastically. He pulled his step stool from the bathroom into the kitchen and announced he was ready to help. While I was still trying to figure out a task to give him, he picked up some crackers and began breaking them into bits on the counter. "I'm going to get Baby Abby's lunch ready for her. She likes her crackers in pieces." Great idea! I grabbed a bowl for him to work in, and he broke up crackers, then meat, cheese, and vegetables. When I looked over to check on him a bit later, the bowl was gone, and I found he'd gone into the dining room and emptied his work onto her tray, all ready for her to wake up for lunch. He then asked for a plate and picked out ingredients for his own lunch, which he set onto the table, all ready to join Baby Abby when she was ready for lunch.
I was genuinely proud of my little helper. What a sweet idea to think of his sister and make something just as he knew she would like it. I'm so proud of the Big Brother he's becoming.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Abigail, meanwhile, is a complete delight herself. She's "talking" now with at least 5 or 6 words. In addition to Mama and Dada, she clearly says Ball, UtOh (something fell down, or she's about to throw something down), Pepper (generalizes to Dog), and ByeBye. She seems to call Jonathan "Nana" which I'm guessing comes from the middle N she hears in his name. While she's forever following after Jonathan, wanting to play right where he is, and cracking up at anything he does that is remotely funny, she is equally enamored with Pepper. Every time we come back in the house she begins calling, "Pepper! Pepper!" and looking about. She loves to get right up in his face, nose to nose, with a big smile and squeal his name in delight, and she's getting better and petting him gently... well, some of the time. To his credit, Pepper is amazingly patient with Abigail and is quite gentle with the kids. In fact, I get the impression he really enjoys the attention from little Abby.
She's all over the place, quite steady on her feet now. And while she does topple on occasion, she really doesn't crawl much any more and manages pretty well all on her feet. She is also starting to enjoy climbing, and in addition to climbing up any step stool she can get to, she loves climbing around on the couch and cushions when it's dissembled for Jonathan's forts.
~~~~~~~~~~
...Which reminds me of another funny exchange with Jonathan the other day.
Jonathan, calling from the living room, while I'm making dinner in the kitchen, "Mommy! Come look at my fort! But, Mommy... Look with your eyes. Don't touch. Because I'm working really hard on it."
I'd almost thought he never heard me the fifty thousand times I told him to "look with your eyes, Jonathan. Don't touch with your hands," on our last trip to Hobby Lobby. But it looks like he at least gets the idea.
No comments:
Post a Comment