Saturday, July 5, 2014

July 4th


Have I mentioned that our kids are quite patriotic these days?  I'll never forget the morning a few months ago that Jonathan woke me at 6am jumping up and down, "Mommy! I'm soooo excited about our Independence!!"

"What independence, Jonathan?"

"Our Independence from Britain!!!!  Mommy, I'm so excited.  We're going to have a parade!"

Finally, finally, the rest of the country is having a parade too, and we can join in.  In fact, we got a head start, and took our decked out scooters for a neighborhood spin on July 3rd.  


 This is why I don't shoot family portraits.  This is my attempt to get a shot of all three of my kids, in their cute patriotic clothes, together in front of our house.  Literally, the toddler is eating a rock.    Awesome. 


 


Their preschool / mothers-day-out also had a parade on July 3rd, so we had lots of opportunities to celebrate!




Joshua wasn't quite as tickled about the preschool parade as his brother and sister, but he didn't cry... so, that was good :)

The next day we joined one of the local neighborhoods in the kids parade that precedes their larger one. We've done this the past few years with friends, and this year it went quite smoothly.  The training wheels weren't falling off anyone's bike.  No one was having a melt down over balloons falling off their scooter.  And no one was terrified that they were about to be run over by the police cars that began the larger parade, just at our heels, while we repeatedly fell off of our own wheels.  Yes... this year went much more smoothly!










There wasn't as much candy as they seemed to recall being thrown from the vehicles in last-year's parade.  But the moms were prepared, with a few sugar-free lollipops in the bag just in case ;)

Overall, it was a roaring success.  Happy Independence, America!


No comments: