No, really... the written word's about all I got at the moment. For a girl who spent much of elementary school getting in trouble for being loud, it's a bit of an adjustment. But SOOO worth the fun weekend! Returning to work has been difficult. That's an understatement, but I'll spare you the gory details. Having my family in town for Thanksgiving, so that we could celebrate with family despite working Thursday and Friday, has meant a ton. Mom and Heather created an elaborate dinner at my house while I spent the first half of the day at the hospital. After dinner, we went all out in a game of Celebrity Charades. URI plus "Tony Romo!... No, Troy Aikman!... No... not Tony Romo?" meant my voice was about shot by the morning. A little recovering today, though, and I had some reserves for tonight's activity: Jonathan's first portrait session.
I hear your children make fools of you in all kinds of ways, eventually. I guess there's a ton of ways that's true, I just didn't realize what a ridiculous scene we'd be already. The people at the photo studio didn't seem to realize the specific narrow window available for a happy baby, carefully carved out while the tummy's still fully before baby's too sleepy and cranky. When they weren't ready at 5:00 sharp, I saw our happy window closing in moment by moment. [And yes, among my greatest successes of this lifetime now ranks having myself, David, and baby -- after perfectly timed nap and nursing -- ready and at the Galleria on Black Friday at our scheduled appointment time.]. They got to us when Jonathan was somewhere between giggly and cranky... which meant we could get smiles, if we worked for them. And work we did. We both broke sweats dancing around, wiggling musical cat toys, chirping and shrieking all kinds of high-pitched nonsense to create the picture-perfect smiling baby moment. It was simultaneously hysterical and mortifying. It's about the craziest I've ever been in public. I would give anything for a video of the ridulocities. When you see the Christmas cards, you can imagine the two insane, bouncing, babbling parents just behind the camera that made for the one giggling baby on the front.
While we picked out the photos about 20 minutes later I spoke my last word. With one final squeak, my voice gave it's Farewell. I guess it's taking the weekend off. Good thing I'm off this weekend, too.
1 comment:
Jenn, you are SUCH a good writer! I know you're just writing about babies, embarrassing moments (which were hilarious, I might add) and your voice, but you make it so much fun to read :)
Post a Comment