Yep, Wednesday made for three years of married life. Can't believe we've crammed so much into three years. To celebrate, David made reservations at a nice local restaurant where we've celebrated some other special occasions, and I asked a friend to watch Jonathan.
A part of our Christmas present from Heather & Justin this year was a Calvin & Hobbes comic book. They explained it was the best preparation available for raising a boy, and we've enjoyed reading through it. A few days ago I was on the comic of Calvin's poor traumatized babysitter, Roseline. His antics include locking her out of the house while his parents are out on a dinner date. But we all know comics are funny because they present exaggerated portraits of reality. While plenty of parents, I'm sure, feel their child is a babysitter nightmare, few little boys actually endanger themselves by locking their babysitter in the dark. And I'm sure no such disasters are up the sleeve of our sweet baby. But apparently he'd been reading up on Calvin's baby-sitter-deterring antics, too, and pulled out his very best for a 5 month munchkin.
Jonathan was his delightful coo'ing, laughing self when our friend Sara arrived. He had been playing with his daddy while I finished getting ready. But within a few moments in Sara's arms, he suddenly burst into a torment of tears and screams so dramatic you'd think he'd gotten his little baby fingers caught in a door. It went on and on, at least fifteen minutes of inconsolable wailing while we tried talking, laughing, toys, the crib, his mobile, and the pacifier. No such luck. Finally we started an early bedtime routine and I nursed him to sleep before putting him down. We were a bit late, but at least he was peacefully out. At dinner I had visions of him awaking and re-starting his hysterics at the sight of Not-Mommy,Not-Daddy, but thankfully he slept straight through, only awaking for a midnight snack once we'd arrived home.
We're grateful Sara didn't bolt out the front door at his awful demonstration, and we refuse to be deterred in the quest for date night. We had a really nice night out, and my thoughtful husband had our marriage license framed for my anniversary gift. The matte, he pointed out, is the color I used for the flowers in our wedding. Bonus points.
No comments:
Post a Comment