Saturday, August 7, 2010

Birdie Needs a Diaper Change!

I'm on call, appreciating a quiet night to get some board review studying done, but can't resist a few minutes of distraction.

bigail is growing bigger and more active by the day. I can't believe she's already 33 weeks! With Jonathan enthusiastically moved into his Big Boy Room, I couldn't resist the temptation to start decorating her room. The jungle theme has been replaced with purple butterflies and pink flowers, and it's so much to walk in and think of the little girl soon to arrive.

Meanwhile, her brother is keeping us on our toes. Among his amusing exchanges this week was this one in response to him reaching down to play with a mess on the sidewalk.

"ooh, Jonathan, please don't touch. Yucky, that's bird poopie."
Jonathan's emphatic response, "Birdie needs it a diaper change!"

I never would have thought of it, but I guess it's a pretty logical suggestion coming from someone who gets his own diaper changed a few times a day! He didn't forget, either. When David came home and I asked Jonathan to tell his Daddy about the birdie that made poop on the sidewalk, he reiterated with enthusiasm, nodding for emphasis, that the birdie needs its diaper changed.

And while reading a book on shapes together, with a picture of an oval hollow in an old tree:
"Jonathan, do you see that squirrel in the tree? What do you think it's doing?"
"Squirrel gonna jump in the hole! Be careful!... da jump in the hole!"
Yes! That's right, be careful! How many times a day do I say that as I find him trying to balance on top of his fire truck or leap off the ottoman? Maybe it's sinking in? Maybe?

On the bedtime scene, I just got a positive report from David... a relief as he's playing single parent tonight with me on call at the hospital. After a week of sitting (okay, laying) on Jonathan's floor for 1 to 2 hours each night waiting for him to fall asleep, I decided it was time to transition parents out of the room. This met, not unexpectedly, with considerable protest and lots of getting out of bed. But I persist, because I'm tired, my back hurts, and Abby's arrival is approaching. There can be no 2 1/2 hour bedtime routine for the toddler with a newborn in the house.

Last night Jonathan got up at LEAST 30 times in 40 minutes, each time led back to his bed gently but firmly. When he finally decided to curl up with Monkey and Tiger and make a go of it, he slept all night. So when David called tonight, I was wondering if he'd be out of his mind from the jack-n-the-box game. David announced that Jonathan was already asleep after only getting up 3 times and agreeing to stay put if his door was left open. I was impressed, but I didn't even get the words out to say as much before I heard Jonathan's Thomas the Train song book in the background over the baby monitor. "Well, I thought he was asleep." Turns out Jonathan had a second wind, sat up to "read" his book for another 15 minutes or so, and then did in fact lay down and go to sleep. Thank God! Praying for another long peaceful night.

No comments: