As I said, that was about 10 days ago. Tonight the poor little guy isn't feeling well. Each time he wakes, coughing, I hear him cry from his bed, "Mommy Duckie! Mommy Duckie?!?" He consistently insists we're the duckie family, even in his sleep. As I leave his room after stories and songs, "Good night, Jonathan, I love you" is met with a sleepy matter-of-fact correction, "I'm Baby Duckie." I resign. "Okay, Sweetie. Goodnight, Baby Duckie... Mommie Duckie loves you." So tonight I find myself going to his bed to rub his head as he falls back asleep, again, whispering without even thinking, "It's okay, Baby Duckie. Mommy Duckie's right here. I love you. It's time to go back to sleep."
Update:
Today we're at the park, when a little boy runs up to Jonathan.
"Hi! My name is Ali! What's your name?"
Jonathan: "I'm Baby Duckie"
Little boy looks up at his mom like "HUH?! What's with this kid?"
"No, what's your name?"
Jonathan: "I'm Baby Duckie!"
1 comment:
That is one of the cutest things I've EVER heard.
Post a Comment