Thursday, January 3, 2013

"Quote"

Though Saturday is my due date, it seems we easily have a few days at least before Joshua's arrival.

Meanwhile, it's been a while since I've posted a collection of quotes from the kids, and it seems today they were full of good material.

From today:

Conversation with Jonathan as he tries to assimilate what he's heard about Africa from a recent TV show, the Dr. Doolittle books, and some of my stories from my own trip to Africa: 

 J: "But how do they build factories in Africa?"
Me: "Well, the same way we do here.  And if there are some parts that they need but don't have, they can buy them from other countries, just like we do.  We buy a lot of things that we need from other countries too, like China and Japan."
J: "Oh, and if they don't know how to make it, then they can come to Texas and learn."
M: "Well, sometimes they do come here to learn some things.  And sometimes we go to Africa to learn from them, too.  Mommy went to Africa once and learned a whole lot while I was there."
J: "But you don't know very much now, do you?"
M: "Umm, well....  I still know some things, Jonathan.  But I do sometimes forget I guess."
J: "Why are you laughing?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later this afternoon, Abby was dressed as a doctor, complete with surgical mask, "checking" Mommy with a blood pressure cuff when Pepper began doing the 5 o'clock bonkers behavior that means "dinner time."

Me: "Abby, please take a break and go give Pepper 1 scoop of food."
Abby: "Mommy, Doctors don't do dogs."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, little girls are so different from little boys.  Jonathan often strikes me as quite sensitive.  But I don't think I ever heard him playing like this.

Abby, 27 months, playing with Tiger and Puppy:
"What's the matter, Tiger?... Oh no, Puppy hurt Tiger's feelings.... It's okay, Tiger.... Tiger just wants his Mommy.  He needs a hug, because Puppy hurt his feelings."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overheard from the backseat of the mini-van:
Abby: "Some boogers are yucky."
Jonathan: "ALL boogers are yucky."
A: "Sometimes boogers are yucky."
J: "ALL the time boogers are yucky."
A: "Oh, Okay."
Finally, the voice of reason from the four-year-old!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jonathan, a few hours after eating some candy, "Mommy, it's a MIRACLE!  Some candy came out from my fingernails!"  Um, yuck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And their favorite memory of 2012: "Remember when you had bird poop on you, Mommy!?!?"
For at least a month after the unfortunate incident in the Kroger parking lot, it came up at least three times daily.  No one remembers or cares that the reason I was pooped on by swarms of birds despite my best efforts to duck into the car is that I was battling a combative two-year-old into her car seat.  It was seriously the highlight of their day.

No comments: