Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Crafty

My little engineer-to-be has been busy designing and building vehicles.  The latest was inspired by heavy-trash pick-up day.  He was delighted to see a grapple truck loading up a dump truck with all the debris from the recent storm.  I've never seen a child more inspired.  Before we'd made it into the house he had plans in mind for building the vehicles he'd seen.  Before long I'd made promises of an afternoon trip to Hobby Lobby for craft supplies, and he was soon drawing out his "instructions."




After a trip to Hobby Lobby, 12 wheels were painted to begin the project.


A cab was begun, and later, a driver was constructed.


When my dad was here this past weekend, he joined in the project, patiently cutting and hot-gluing craft sticks according to Jonathan's instructions to complete the cab of the dump truck.




 This project is still in progress, as many of these take multiple days and many hours to complete.  Jonathan's quite patient with the process, though his ideas and vision are very specific.

 Here are a few previously completed projects, in addition to the Dinosaur Train.




Wheels for this fire engine are going to require another trip to the craft store!

I have to say, while I'm not at all this crafty by nature, and I'm often at a loss for how to achieve what Jonathan's aiming for as we proceed, I'm floored by his creativity and his problem solving. It's a parent's joy to watch their child's mind work, and God has given Jonathan a remarkably creative mind!



1 comment:

Anke said...

wow. That is more than impressive!!! I don't think you should ever have any break-down problems with your car with THAT son as soon as he can actually TURN the wrench ;-) Wonderful, inspiring and supercute of course!!!
Much love, Anke