19 months is SOO much fun. There's so much he gets. Jonathan can see a Jeep from 3 blocks away and announce: "Jeep!" I have to wait until it's close enough to read the letters, but he's almost always right. He'll point out the "pick-up cruck" in the picture books to distinguish it from cars and big trucks, which he always reminds me are "Hehbee!" (heavy). He has gotten so much better with "please" and "thank you." Lately when he give him something he says, "dink-ya... welcome" (thank you... welcome). Still working on the nuances there. He pretty consistently identifies "two" of anything he can hold in his hands... two sticks, two monkeys, two blankies, two apples and will count them out if you ask, "How many blankies Jonathan?" "One, two!... TWO BLANKIES!" But there's still so much that he definitely doesn't get, and that keeps us in stitches.
This overheard between Jonathan and David in the living room this evening:
"Jonathan, how old are you?"
"One!!!" (holding up one finger)
"Jonathan... what color is the frog?"
"Green!"
Jonathan, how old is Daddy?"
"One!!!"
"Jonathan, what color is Daddy?"
"Green!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lots of people have asked us if we've told Jonathan about the baby. So we did.
Last night at dinner:
David: "Jonathan, Mommy's going to have a baby!"
Jonathan: "Baby cow?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I type this I hear Jonathan and David running around the house, laughing and shrieking. It's been going on a while, and I'm hoping Jonathan will sleep super soundly tonight. Then a few minutes ago it gets quiet and I hear Jonathan going room to room, "Daddy?...Daddy? Daddy wake up. Daddy wake up." Then he comes running over to me at the computer, pulling my hand, "Daddy i-no-no, Daddy i-no-no" (I-no-no = "I don't know [where it is]")
From what I'd heard I'm assuming David's pretending to be asleep on the rocking chair, or in the bed. "Jonathan, where is Daddy?"
"Daddy i-no-no. Daddy room?"
"Okay, is he in Daddy's room?" No, no Daddy in Daddy's room.
"Is he in Jonathan's room?"
"Nope." (When did he learn to say "nope" ???)
"Well... let me look. No, no Daddy in Jonathan's room."
"Nope." Jonathan pulling at the guest room door...
"Is he in the guest room?" Open door... no Daddy.
"Nope."
"Jonathan, where's your Daddy?"
"I-no-no. Daddy i-no-no."
"Okay, let's look in the closets. What were you and Daddy playing?"
I try the hall closet and find the door oddly stuck. Immediately there are man-giggles coming from inside the closet. David's apparently cracking himself up with this game of hide and seek that I've been pulled into for toddler support.
"Jonathan, why don't you look here in the closet."
"Daddy! Daddy wake up!" (Still not sure why Daddy was considered to be 'asleep,' but I guess that's his best understanding of hiding?)
I can't believe he's old enough to play hide and seek... kind of. We should have a little talk about leveling the playing field, though. Jonathan did a pretty good job considering the odds against him!
~~~~~~~
Evening walks have been just wonderful this week. The weather is gorgeous. Each evening we come home, get dinner nearly prepared, cut up Jonathan's apple, prepare a sippy cup of water or milk, and head out. Yesterday I set up the apple and cup in his stroller tray and ran to use the restroom (consumes a good 20% of the day at this point, thanks to Jellybean). I couldn't believe it when I returned to find he'd climbed into his stroller (behind the food tray... no idea how he actually got in), a helium balloon under arm (from the restaurant that afternoon)... ready to go! It's the most lovely change from the kicking crying protests as we attempted to get him into a stroller a few weeks ago. As we stroll around the neighborhood, he exclaims every so often, "Nice Ride!" I absolutely love it. And yet I realize, seeing as toddler preferences are as unpredictable as the weather, that this may not last forever... as in may not last the week. But it's great while it lasts. Nice Ride!
2 comments:
how fun! sounds like you guys are going to have your hands full!
I love how you write. Read your post aloud to Daniel, and we both enjoyed :). Hope to talk to you soon.
Post a Comment