Happy Birthday to the sweetest little boy I've ever known! Can't believe our baby is two years old, and quite the Big Boy now.
Jonathan's birthday fell in my last week of residency, and I woke him that morning to see him a bit before leaving for work.
"Good morning, Jonathan! How old are you?"
"One!"
"No, Jonathan... it's your birthday today! You're TWO! Happy Birthday"
He didn't miss a beat: "I need some cake!"
I have no idea how he knew he gets cake on his birthday. He's been to two birthday parties, both months ago. But I had, in fact, baked a cake after he went to bed the night before, and for his birthday Jonathan got to eat cake for breakfast... at 6:40 in the morning!
That weekend we celebrated Jonathan's birthday and my last day of residency. We were blessed to have some dear friends and family join us.
For my son who LOVES trains, cars, and trucks, I had fun decorating these little train cakes.
Jonathan was asked time and again, "How old are you?" that week. While he told one or two people that he was two, his most common answer was "I want [to be] one!" He'd hold up one finger and repeat it more emphatically each time you suggested that he's now two. I guess that's a two year old's prerogative, to argue with EVERYTHING, down to his age.
~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
The next week, my Mom stayed with Jonathan to allow David and me to take a few days to ourselves. We stayed at an amazing bed and breakfast in the Hill Country, the Inn Above Onion Creek, and had a wonderful, restful time.
Happy husband, driving to Austin
A view of some of the grounds of our B&B get away
Comfy room!
Every evening we sat on our porch in the rocking chairs to watch the sun set.
Don't we look Amish here?
One day we drove into Austin to see the Capital Building and the LBJ Presidential Library.
Our tour guide reviews Texas history in the Capital Building
Happy husband, out for a hike.
We enjoyed an afternoon at Hamilton Pool's swimming hole.
The Leaning Pear had an amazing lunch, and seemed the perfect photo op for this mommy. This was my best attempt at leaning, without falling over.
Happy husband, getting some small town BBQ!
Thanks, Mom! While we missed our son and enjoyed re-telling his antics to one another, we treasured these days to ourselves.
Our baby Abigail is 37 weeks and we can't wait for her arrival! Well... I have a load of studying for the boards to fit in between now and then, not to mention some serious nesting and organizing (as in, I still need to figure out where she's going to sleep these first few weeks :), but we're getting so excited knowing her birth is just around the corner. Not long now!
No comments:
Post a Comment