Thursday, August 18, 2011

Mommy Ducky, Mommy Doc

Whew, so much catch-up to do. Jonathan's Birthday Party was a fun celebration, made even better by Daniel, Kimie, and Baby Lucy who drove down to celebrate with us. Kimie took some amazing pics, which I'll post here soon, but meanwhile you can find the highlights here. Have I even mentioned that we've been to 2 wonderful family reunions this summer? I just treasured the time we spent in North Carolina with my dad's family, and we returned just recently from an amazing weekend with David's family in Minnesota. I'll have some pictures to post from those trips one of these days, too, though I'll confess most are "borrowed" from other family photographers, as I managed to forget my camera most of the time while chasing my two sweet munchkins.

Meanwhile, I've also been throwing together a second blog site. David is forever encouraging me to spend a little more time writing. He knows I enjoy it, and teases me that I'll be responsible for putting the kids through college with proceeds from some book or another. As I rounded out 7 years of medical school and residency, I realized that the minimal margin in life in the preceding years left me largely reacting to life with little effort to reflect on my experiences. A very meaningful conversation with my sister a few months ago presented a stark contrast between our professions and training, as I heard her (the social worker) reflect with meaning on why she chooses the words she does, the habits she does, and how intentionally she cares for her marriage. While I once took the time to think and to write, it had all but disappeared in the years of my medical training. So to those ends, I have set aside Mommy Ducky, Mommy Doc. If you visit, you'll see, for right now, that the majority is a few selections from this blog that I've pulled out to re-post, and a little blurb about the origins of the title (aside from the fact that the first 20 or so options were taken and yet entirely empty).

And now, I find myself again awake, sleepy, and hungry at midnight. To snack, or to sleep? Sleep.

No comments: