Our usual morning routine starts with our Bible story, scripture memory, hymn and poetry over breakfast. Breakfast was a treat today, because Daddy had bought Lucky Charms while grocery shopping with the kids Sunday. We then walked Abby to preschool and enjoyed a leisurely return walk. I then put Joshua down for a nap and began school with Jonathan. School included a phonics review of long O and long U sounds, then a story from a reader focusing on the long U sound. From there we did our math lesson using connecting block manipulatives, playing with all the different ways to make 8. Then we moved on to our Five in a Row book, The Glorious Flight, about Louis Bleriot's first flight across the English Channel. It highlights an interesting period in history, in addition to creative problem solving and invention, persistence, and courage (or foolishness, depending on your perspective!). From there we spring-boarded into Western European geography, looking at France, England, and the rest of the United Kingdom. We looked at photos of the chalky White Cliffs of Dover, where Bleriot landed, and read about the geology of the area. Jonathan colored the flags of France and the UK, which led to an investigation into the history of the British flag and the combination of elements of the flags of England, Scotland, and Ireland into the Union Jack, which made for some research into the history of the UK... which I'll confess to not previously knowing :)
When Abby returned, we read Eric Carle's book The Tiny Seed, talked about the seasons and the life cycle of flowers, appreciated the paint and collage art in the book, then planted flowers in window pots in hopes of having some flowers in the window this fall. I have poor luck with these things (meaning all things green), but one can hope. After Legos, some imaginative pretend play between the preschoolers, another nap on Joshua's part, and some errands to buy fall / winter clothes, we picked up the house and prepared to go to Abby's preschool open house once David arrived home. We enjoyed seeing Abby's classroom and her teachers again, though the highlight from the kids' perspective was the book fair where they each picked out books that absolutely delight them but tempt me to turn 2 and 3 pages at a time.
Somewhere during that Lego time I pulled out my camera and tripod to attempt a self-portrait shot for my current photography workshop. Immediately 2 of 3 children were crying, and I couldn't achieve any kind of reasonable focus with the lens I'd pulled out. Abby asked for a photo, so I switched plans and snapped one of her and her "puppy dog ears" while I could, then used the remote to fire one of myself before giving up. It would be more fun if I had photos of the plant-potting mess, but my hands were far too full with an infant trying to eat soil to bother with documenting the fun. For the one of myself, the attempt was a self-portrait with an element of anonymity.
No comments:
Post a Comment