We're "38 and 4" today. For those not currently on a pregnancy count-down themselves, that's not a sports score. It means we're 1 week, 3 days out from Jonathan's due date. The tropical storm brewing off the gulf coast has definitely upped the drama around here in the past few hours. Our clinics are closed tomorrow -- for me, it means another day for preparing for baby's arrival. I stopped by the grocery store on the way home to stock up on groceries for a day of making freezable dinners, so as to be stocked for the post-baby-era. The grocery store was INSANE. Not a cart to be found, the parking lot full, people buying water as though it wouldn't come out of their tap when they get home. Already 3 large meals made and stored away by 10pm tonight and still on a nesting rage, I needed a second grocery store run to pick up extra Tupperware and the tomato paste I'd forgotten on round one.
As I announce my late-night errand plans, David enthusiastically decides to join me -- not so much to accompany me, but so as to turn my mini-trip into a full out Mission. "Preparedness" was not a common word in my vocabulary until moving to Houston -- now there's an article on "Hurricane Preparedness" in every Sunday edition of the paper. For my dear husband who LOVES camping gear almost more than he loves camping, even the little threat of a "category one" disaster is enough to ignite him. With a print-out of "Preparedness Items" in hand, he begins a list for the 10pm Walmart run. Yes, I said I was going to the grocery store, but now David's in, it's escalated to WalMart. If an REI was in close proximity, we'd be in big trouble, and the start to Jonathan's college fund would likely be sacrificed in the Mission. I allowed him to drop me off back at home on the way to WalMart only after getting his solemn oath that he will not return with a canoe, blow-up raft, paddles, gas lantern, can of propane, or other extravagant unnecessary items with which to "survive" tomorrow's rain storm, Edouard.
We'll pray tomorrow doesn't give us reason to be grateful for our flood insurance. Meanwhile, I must admit to mixed feelings about everyone's predictions that these low-pressure storms send all pregnant women to the delivery room. I'm more than ready to meet Jonathan, but it likely won't be easy for my family to drive or fly in from Dallas tomorrow. We'll likely spend the day cooking, resting, and munching on the bulk foods David's bound to arrive with shortly, ... with flashlights, and possibly canoes, on hand.
1 comment:
well, just so you know, josh was planning on going out yesterday to buy......not the 14ft canoe with seats and oars......but the 11 ft heavy duty inflatable boat that requires a small motor to run it. All this, not in the name of Hurricane Preparedness - - since, of course, we are VOGELS.....which means we are ALREADY prepared and have been since time immemorial -and that great end-of-season sale at Sports Authority 3 years ago. No, the boat is to be used as a fishing boat.....at least until we can afford to buy a boat that we can attach it to as a liferaft (see, preparedness.......)
Post a Comment