Thursday, August 7, 2008

Success!

ooops... not to fool you, that doesn't mean we had a baby. It means I'm READY. My major achievement of the day was surviving a charlie horse. I know what you're saying, sounds insignificant, but it's NOT. Pregnancy has somehow brought on these excruciating middle-of-the-night surprises. With the first one I awoke dreaming I was being attacked by a dog, and then woke David up at 2am as I flopped around like a fish on the bed, screaming such that he thought he was losing his wife and the baby all in one violent attack. They're horrible, and are so strong they leave me sore for DAYS afterwards -- this is no minor cramp. But they also leave me a bit concerned... hmm, if I can't make it through a muscle cramp without screaming & flopping drama, am I freakin' nuts to not have an epidural in my childbirth plans?

But this morning, I conquered the cramp. On awaking I foolishly stretched out my legs, setting off the deadly charlie horse. Immediately, I remembered the impending labor I keep hoping is just around the corner and broke into steady breathing patterns, flexing back my foot and stretching out the calf that was trying to kill me. I nearly passed out, and I'm definitely still sore, but it did manage to pass without the flopping screaming action. Now I'm ready.

David got his pertussis booster today. I died laughing when he re-enacted the scene at Occupation Health where he told them, "You have to give me the pertussis vaccine. My wife says my baby will die if I don't get it." I started to correct him: "I didn't say the baby would die..." but... What else was the point of my horror stories of infants with pertussis in the ICU? okay, yeah, I scared him into it (or maybe just guilted him into it). No whooping cough for this baby!

1 comment:

patricia s-v said...

Hey Jen... best of luck on the impending birth of your son!

As a strange coincidence, I have the same probs with charlie horses in my calves in the night/early morn. Must be careful stretching out in bed... and I am not even preg - HA! Just play tennis and work outside a lot.

Fondly, Patricia Sommersby-Verber