Saturday, October 22, 2011

Thank God that's over

I just have to pause a moment and delight in the past 14 months. Residency is over. The nightmares of having to return to residency have stopped. Truly, they lasted about 6 months. Nightmares where I was called in on "back-up" for a sick resident, and despite explaining that I've graduated, I was told, "yes, I know. I'm so sorry, but... we really need you. You'll be on the I.D. (infectious disease) team. They'll meet you at 7am."

But it's been months since any dreams of a forced return, and our family is thriving. I'm thriving. I have friends, I'm in a small group at church. I go to church with my family. I'm taking a photography course (online), playing piano (after bedtime), and writing. I'm home for bedtime almost every single night, and best of all, I have breakfast with the kids. We read stories at breakfast time, and I just love it. I can't remember the last time I had to leave the house while they were still asleep in bed. The day I walked out of the hospital for the last time as a resident was so beautiful I broke into tears. It was sunny with a few beautiful fluffy clouds in a bright blue sky, and LITERALLY... the birds were singing. The two years prior I kept thinking, "After this, it will all get better." And I sincerely hoped so, but was also a bit hesitant that maybe I was holding out for greener grass on the other side that just wouldn't be. But no, it's wonderful. I'm LOVING this!

OK, and with that... back to my photography class. I'm a real person!

No comments: